Friday, January 1, 2010

Social media data analysis

As we put more and more data on-line, we will see different ways to analyze the data floating around. What is says about us, I am not so sure. I previously blogged about a tool to show trends in twitter.

Here is something else that was blogged on by O’Reilly (I do love those guys). This shows a different visualization of some of the information flowing in Twitter. This one also show trends but I have to say the visualization seems more effective to show what is being talked about at one point in time and the actual trends

In order to look at the trend, you need to read the text under each picture. I would be curious to see how they define boring and smart though. That might be more of a judgment call rather than a real data categorization. Actually I just read the article again and it defined by the author.

I wonder if there is a way to actually define boring vs smart. People who talk about some topics, would not really call those things boring (or would they). I suppose the x-axis might be used to represent the trends (getting hotter or cooler).

No comments: