Friday, January 1, 2010

More on Twitter

I have been blogging about twitter for a while now (mainly twitter vs Facebook) and I have to say I am still baffled on how popular it is.

When not helping dealing with emergencies, and then I think the only advantage twitter has is how easy it is to post and search information, it seems to be a referral tool, a way for a user to advertise content posted at another address (which allows a lit bit more information to be posted).

Then I came across this article from someone who actually raves about Twitter and let you know why. Also there is a slight inconsistency there, the author does admit using either media to post information. I especially like the way he described posting questions and asking help from his followers.

Of course you would have to have followers, not sure I would be qualifying there. The only followers I get are the ones which seem to be disappearing from Twitter for disqualifying behavior.
He also admits to not following many people. Too much information is the same as no information. Seems a bit of a one sided relationship, but I have to say I understand the approach there.

I still think the best part of Twitter is the use of tags and its searchability. There might be a use for the individual but where it seems to shine is in using the crowd’s information. The danger of course is when it is not a fad anymore, and I hear some famous people are now disconnecting, if we do not find a way to make it more attractive for the individual, Twitter might very quickly loose its appeal.

Just found another article claiming that Twitter will be there forever. Well generally speaking it is hard to agree with it, if Twitter does not evolve it will surely disappear in favor of something else. But he makes some valid point as to why Twitter is useful now. It is worth the read.

No comments: