Sunday, May 17, 2009

A follow up on Twitter

Just a quickly follow up on my previous post. I am not sure I made my point so well. I don’t mean to say we do not have a lot of applications possible from mining twitter information. I read this article (How NPR Tweets Topical Archive Material) and I really liked the idea. How a program identifies trends in Twitter and publishes content from existing material which will support the trend.

I actually Twittered about this article where we learn about some of the usage a company can use the information in Twitter to understand how ‘the mob’ perceives the company.

My issue I suppose is not so much about what can be done about the data but the incentive there is for people to Twitter. It is definitely a fad at the moment, people join just to be in. Technically I am joining to find out what the fuss is all about. I suppose its strength is the asymmetric associations which allows you to follow someone without first requiring their approval.

The conflict for me is that the benefits depend on the information entered and you can only enter 100 characters. You can only really enter keywords and then link to other page with the full information. That is quite restrictive.

Maybe the quick fix for me would be to just allow entering as many as you want and then it is a nice and easy way to have a blog. Maybe I just don’t get it and it will become a real source of information and not just a marketing tool.

2 comments:

Jim Bower said...

The part that excites me is not the human part. It is the possibility of a "followable" source of small bits of info. You could deliver lots of stuff to lots of applications that way.

Yann said...

Was trying to reply to you but was taking too long, I will put it in the next post :).