Sunday, May 9, 2010

Too much information bad for Democracy

Sorry, I have not really had time but I saw this one and could not resist passing it on: Obama: iPod, iPad don't empower.

Not sure I agree with everything there but still interesting. I suppose busy people don’t have as much time as we do cannot process all the information that is available. I still think there is too much, we need to be able to identify what matters and focus on certain areas.

That being said, tools (like iPhone and iPad) do not make more information more available, although they do make it accessible in more places. We just need to make sure we have tools on those devices which allow us to filter that information.

Although I think the point we should make is that just because information is available that we have to look at it at anytime during the day. I have heard of people not being able to sleep anymore because they were reading news in bead on the iPhone. Of course who has not heard of family dinner where no-one is talking because everyone is texting or checking the internet. I think the toys are great but we need to learn how to switch them off.

No comments: